Noodle Boy is a nickname my son had when he was a tiny guy and I started this blog. His nickname changes all the time. (Don't worry, we keep his real name the same.) He is completely awesome. Read on and see for yourself!

Monday, January 24, 2011

sniff

Jon is really into smells right now. I know, that's a weird thing for a kid to fixate on, but he does.

First thing in the morning:
"Pew Mom what's that smell?"
"That's your breath honey. It gets stinky when you sleep."
"Oh. Smells like catfood." RIGHT ON. I've never made that comparison but he nailed it on the head.

New hand soap:
"MOM! This smells BEAUTIFUL! Like flowers and pie!"

Semi on the road in front of us:
"He got a stinky zost (exhaust) on his truck. He need to go get it fixed."

The little weirdo wants to huff everything in sight! Every hair and skin care item I own has been thoroughly sniffed and deemed either "stinky" or "beautiful" smelling.

It's really not a huge deal unless we're out and about, but he uses no discretion at all and sometimes he sort of gets us into uncomfortable situations. Click here for a horrifying tale about that.

The really weird part is that he ties smells into any recollection he has of a place or an event. Like when he went back to daycare after his cousin's birthday party and his teacher asked him if he had fun and he replied, "Yeah, smelled like popcorn there."
Or when when I tell him we're going to Costco, "That place has stinky tires. But sometimes it smells like doughnuts." What the heck is wrong with that kid?

So my little sniffer and I were out driving last week and our neighbor was burning his burn pile when we drove by.
"I smell something, Mom." Of course you do, weirdo.
"That's Neighbor Jerry's burn pile."
"Oh. Smells like bacon. I looooove bacon. This place smells delicious. I love Jerry's bacon pile"

We live out in the country, so we don't actually see our neighbors face-to-face that often. mostly because the closest neighbor lives half a mile away. So Jon has no idea who most of them are when we see them, he just takes my word for it that we know these people. But old Jerry is forever lodged in Jon's little brain.

We ran into Jerry later that week at Casey's and we did the usual "Hi neighbor" routine and I said to Jon, "Can you say 'hi' to Jerry? He's our neighbor."

And the light bulb went on.

"The bacon guy?!"

Yes Little Sniffer, he is the "bacon guy"

3 comments:

Reverend Awesome said...

ZOST! He's hilarious. I love Jon stories. It's cool seeing kids sort out life. Trying to make sense of everything.

When I was a kid I would always try to dance around outside in the zost in the winter. It was a big cloud! Of course I wanted to dance in it. I'd always get in trouble. I never truly understood why, just figured Mom hated fun. Also, used to bike behind the mosquito truck! Oh my god. What an idiot I was. I just wanted to be in the clouds.

JenB37 said...

He also likes to inhale zost when we are leaving for daycare in the morning. Katie used to love the smell of the co-op when we were there getting gas and the smell of fresh asphalt. What a couple of kooks.

Oh my god! The mosquito truck?! the whole point of the mosquito truck is to kill things! That's hilarious! I used to get so mad when we'd take the kids to town to skate and the mosquito truck was rolling past the park. Pick a different night! There are kids EVERYWHERE! (riding their bikes in the clouds!)

jessbuck91000 said...

Its been awhile since I've read this! Oh how I've missed it and that wonderful little guy! He says the damnedest things ever...